The River 1.7

Tonight's post is quite short, but tomorrow's post should be the final section of the story, which means you won't get anything more until I'm finished editing the piece. Once I complete that process, I'll post the entirety of the story in pdf format.

==

I rammed the clutch into the floorboard as I shifted to fourth gear, merging onto the Liberty Bridge. Lights flashed past like a strobe as my speed flew past the legal limit. Finding the rearview mirror, I stole a glimpse of Cerise examining the extent of Liam’s injuries.

“Mother of mercy, woman!” he cried, as Cerise felt along his shin tracing the scope of the fractures. “I thought the torture was over for today.”

“Oh stop being a baby,” Cerise rebuked without stopping her inspection.

The walls seemed to press down on us as we disappeared into the Liberty Tunnel; I felt claustrophobic, trapped. My foot pushed the gas pedal closer to the floor.

Trying to keep his mind off the pain, Cerise asked, “So, petit frère, what did you do to irritate la putain de sang this time, hm?”

“I exist?” Liam chuckled, our eyes met unbidden in the mirror and I couldn’t stop the grin from spreading across my face.

“Your personality does seem to have that uncanny affect,” I commented wryly as we exited the tunnel. The light was blessedly green. Free of the confinement of the stone, the tension in my chest eased.

“Livy,” he said my name softly, his attitude sobering. He caught my eyes again. “Thanks.”

© 2008 Elizabeth Mock

Comments

Popular Posts