Disclaimer

This is a reminder that these posts are part of a working draft that is constantly changing. I can't believe I'm actually posting writing this raw, but it is keeping me drafting and on track, so I guess the tradition will continue for now.

To give you a window into how my mind works with my writing: My first drafts tend toward the melodramatic in some of the responses and conflicts, because I'm writing the truest responses of my characters to the situations they find themselves in, and let's be honest, if we all reacted without any kind of filtration, life would be one big melodrama. However, during the editing process these reactions get reined in by other parts of their personalities filtering their responses. But I need to see that core response to understand how they'll react to a situation.

So it's quiet possible that when I post the "final" piece, that certain exchanges will be gone entirely - those conversations that I needed to experience to understand the layers of the scene, but that echo a bad 1920s melodrama more than I would like. Most writers wouldn't subject their unrefined drafts to the world, but like I said, having to post more every day is keeping me writing everyday. Or, it's just possible that I'm hitting that stage of drafting that I always do where I feel like I can't make the story work the way I'd like to and want to happily burn the whole thing. So either way, please, take anything that smacks of a bad soap opera with a grain of salt - including this post.

Comments

Popular Posts