On Doom, PTSD, and a Forge Announcement

PTSD Brain: "No. The answer is No."
C-PTSD makes seemingly simple things very difficult. It makes it hard for me to feel like I’m allowed to feel safe. Safety feels like a dangerous state of affairs. Because if I let myself feel safe, Doom™ will occur. Somehow, by always being hyper-vigilant, my brain believes I can avert disaster. And from time to time, though it’s getting less frequent, my brain is very sure disaster is lurking just around the corner. Sometimes, it feels like there’s a specific doom. Like say, I’m going to lose my job. A fact that is very unlikely.

My brain doesn’t take this assertion of reality as a fact and call it a day. It takes it as a challenge. It might be unlikely, but what if...

Doom™. 

It goes like this. My brain is convinced I will fail to meet a deadline, or some authority figure’s expectations, which will lead to a chain reaction (And this Doom-Saying Conspiracy Theorist part of my brain can, and will, explain every step—of which there are many—in minute detail.), which will ultimately lead to me getting fired, unable to pay my bills, a failure at everything, and everyone hating me. And my brain will draw from adverse results that have happened to me before to beef up its evidence that this doom will, in fact, occur. 

“But what about that one time when…?” 

Past events that did happen give my brain the receipts to prove that this Doom™ is coming—unless. Unless we control everything, I guess? That’s the specific doom scenario. This specific chain-of-events will lead to inevitable, inescapable doom? That’s catastrophic thinking. Which is, not always but can be, a symptom of PTSD.

Sometimes, there’s just looming, undefined Doom™.  There’s no discernible cause or reason. There’s nothing to be done. It just feels like I have to be ready for anything. For what specifically? Who know! What should I do to stop it? Who knows! Certainly not me. 

It feels like this: 
1. I let my guard down.
2. ???
3. Doom™.

This can make it hard to focus. This If-I-Feel-Safe-Then-Doom™ sensation can make it challenging to get work done. Before I started therapy, I used to ignore the feeling and power through. (Trying to brute force my way through situations and life? The “if I throw an unhealthy amount of hard work at it I will survive” mentality? Common for people with PTSD.) Funny thing about therapy, though, is that it makes you very aware of your emotions and of the truth that you can’t opt out of emotions. 

Feelings are optional; that’s the big lie of a lot of well-meaning advice out there. I read it phrased that way the other day, and I can’t get over how true it is.

They aren’t. Feelings aren’t optional.

Ever think about how we call emotions “feelings”? I’ve been thinking about it a lot. It’s a startlingly accurate word for the experience. Because emotions are a physical, somatic response of the body. It’s not just a psychological state; it’s a physical sensation. We don’t really have a choice about whether they’re happening. We feel our emotions not exactly like we feel a cold day or we feel a hug, but because our emotions are also a bodily, tactile, sensory response to our experiences. (Thank you, Vagus Nerve. Look it up, if you’re unfamiliar. It’s a trip.)

And those feelings are predictive. They’re based on our past experiences, and what we think will happen next. This grieves me about my PTSD. My brain is trying to protect me, not from imaginary experiences, but from experiences that did occur, from events that did happen. Experiences I was unable to process at the time. Experiences which became trauma. My brain, by itself, did the best it could. It was, and is, trying to keep me from having those experiences again. It’s trying to keep me alive.

In many ways, PTSD makes me a time traveler in my own life. Sometimes, my brain doesn’t know when I am. Despite being nearly 37 years old, my brain will think that it’s 1984. That what happened to me then is happening now. Or that it will definitely happen to me again in the future. These are emotional flashbacks and flash forwards. Both set up the Doom™ dominos. Things from my past pushing my brain to feel like it must know and control the future. That this is the only way to get to the mythical state of Safety™. My Doom-Saying Conspiracy Theorist is right in a sense. Anything could happen. There isn’t a state of Safety™. Safety is a feeling.

Feelings are optional. This lie leads to repression and trauma.

Feelings are information. Feelings are physical. Feelings happen. That doesn’t mean I’m helpless to my feelings. That doesn’t mean I’m helpless to my PTSD. I have tools now to interface with my feelings and my PTSD.

When those Doom™ dominos get set up, however, it can be hard to remember to pick up those tools. The old tracks of behavior in my brain that protected me are well worn and deep. It’s hard to remember to change tracks. It’s harder to do it. Not feeling safe, as odd as this sounds, feels very comfortable. It protected me.

And it no longer serves me.

Said Post-Its
So, I have post-it notes all over my office. Things to help me identify if I’m triggered, if I’m in an emotional flashback. Things to help me remember what’s true. Things to help me get back to the present. To keep me grounded in the present. To keep me from being a time traveler. Things to help me remember that I’m allowed to feel safe. That this will pass. To thank my brain for trying to protect me, and that this behavior no longer serves me.

So, why have I taken us, dear reader, down this rabbit hole about feelings and my PTSD? Because for nearly the last three weeks, when I sat down to write, I felt unsafe. (I felt unsafe when I wasn’t writing, too. But that’s beyond the scope of this post and what I’m comfortable sharing with the entirety of the Interwebs.) I still got revising done as I navigated the ebb and flow of these feelings and my PTSD. It’s exhausting, but I kept making progress. The last two days, however, have been particularly hard.

There are a lot of reasons why, but one of them is that we’re less than two months to my deadline to publish Forge, and some developments have occurred as I’ve been finishing the continuity revisions and rewrites. As I’ve previously said, the first draft of this novel clocked in at around 260k. That is a monstrously long book. At the beginning of November, I realized something. This is not one book. This is two. Which was the original plan. 

I know, I buried the lede.

From the beginning, I had intended this series to be a quartet, not a trilogy. I had thought, I had hoped, I could wrap up Faela and Kade and Jair’s story in three books. This draft is two books. And you know what? I’m happy with that.

I’ve been afraid to announce this because Doom™. And because I’ve been afraid about this decision, revising felt dangerous. (Making a “wrong” decision has very high stakes in the world of PTSD. See earlier comments on needing to control the future.) My Doom-Saying Conspiracy Theorist has many dominos set up regarding this decision and this announcement. All ending in, as you’ve probably guessed by now, Doom™.

So. Forge is now split into Forge and Resolve. Back to the original plan. They even have their own scrivener files. And let me tell you, putting Resolve into its own scrivener file was a big step and a very big deal.

I’m still shooting for a 2018 publication for Forge. (It might be January allowing for the unpredictability of life and recovery.) These two book are already drafted, and I’m nearing the end of the Forge continuity revisions. This means Resolve should be released sometime in the spring of 2019. There won’t be a seven year gap between the two this time. That I can promise. 

It is hard for me to post this. I can’t control what will come of these decisions, and I believe they’re the right ones for me and for these stories. Alongside the fear, I’m excited about this draft being two books again. I’m excited for how much better the conclusion of this series will be. I’m excited, and I’m still scared.


Making these decisions doesn’t mean Doom™. It just feels that way right now. And my feelings will change. Whatever comes of these decisions, I can handle it. Because I am not alone. Amidst this, I’m allowed to feel safe. And that’s really hard.

Comments

Unknown said…
So... What you're saying is.... I've been waiting 7 years for not one, but TWO books!?

Of course it took a long time. And I am thrilled to be getting twice the story I've been waiting for.

(Also, when I talk people out of panic, I ask "what if?" What if you lose everything? What if nothing happens? What if you DO fail? You'll start over and rebuild, that's what you'll do. Of course it'd suck, but in the unlikely chance that your doom-brain is right, you will survive. You've got this. :) )
^__^ Thanks! I’m glad you’re excited!
Sansi said…
I can’t wait!! I was thinking about you last week, wondering why the story hadn’t continued. I’m very happy to know you are ok & writing...
Aw, yay! I'm so pleased you're excited. ^__^ And I'll keep writing!
Unknown said…
Personally I'm happier with a conclusion, you the writer feels like is the right adventure. Im excited for two books instead of one, cause I love a good story, and I love to read!
IMsirius said…
Oh Elizabeth, so looking forward to the next chapter. Whatever caused you that PTSD, which I personally blame that publisher for, I am just happy for you to be back with us. Can't wait.
So glad you're excited! The PTSD, unfortunately, has been pretty much lifelong from childhood, just recently diagnosed. Though, book stuff did get entangled with it. It's the nature of the beast.
Unknown said…
Now, I may be wrong, but the some of the inevitable doom stuff you mentioned can have another origin besides ptsd. People who have OCD can get a similar feeling from some of the same causes. If you have the time to look into it i would. even if you arent ocd at all its still an interesting topic to study. Also im definitely avoiding writing a paper rn
Absolutely. It can. In part because OCD is an anxiety disorder, which PTSD also is. Catastrophic thinking is not solely a symptom of PTSD. I’ve been diagnosed with what’s called complex-PTSD as well as Generalized Anxiety. I don’t have any of the compulsive behaviors symptomatic of OCD.
Unknown said…
Hooray! Unlike other authors that I've abandoned over the years as they've stopped writing and left a story hanging, I've held on here, hoping that there would be a conclusion. And now it seems there will be a *big* conclusion. Even better! I'll be watching for Forge. :D
Aw, thanks! So happy you’re excited!
Afterburne said…
So sorry that Doom-life work this way. I hope you find a satisfactory path through the twists and turns your brain throws at you.

I have been looking forward to the continuation of your story for some time.

May things go well for you as you progress toward the final realization and completion of your story.
Unknown said…
Glad your still writing. I'm sorry I never new about the PTSD in collage, but then I was knee deep in ignoring my own VERY traumatic childhood. I however new that it was I was just denying it at the time. I absolutely agree with the statements describing the daily affects of these feelings and have actually never heard them described so well before! Thank you for always being you, and being so eloquent. Can't wait to see the new books! Good luck!
Unknown said…
sorry forgot to sign it, lol
Jamie Johnson
Unknown said…
Busily clearing the decks of my current reading list in anticipation.
Unknown said…
I have loved your first two books and I look forward to reading the next two.
Demi said…
I remember when reading your first book, I was so enthralled that I immediately grabbed your second. This was several years ago, and I still come back to your page to see if the next has been released.

It has probably been 2 years since I last checked, so I'm happy to hear that it's nearly finished. I didn't look into your profile at all over this time, so I was unaware of any of the obstacles you face.

I'm happy to hear that you are overcoming the difficulties and continuing forward.

I can honestly tell you that I believe 100% that you are making the correct decision to make this into two books. I realize that my opinion means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, except that I know how much I loved the first two books. You did an amazing job with them, and I know you will put the same level of heart and soul into the ending. Besides, I always love more books, more words, more everything - so with authors and books I love, more always = better for me.

I know you will rock this, and regardless of anything else, I will be buying both of the final two books. Now then...to schedule another re-read of the series...

- Josh MacDowall
Aww, thanks, Jamie! Even when I want to quit, I know I'll never not write. And no worries about college! *I* didn't know I had c-PTSD until 2017. I had many, deep layers of defense mechanisms to not see it myself. As I'm so fond of quoting from Avatar: The Last Airbender about it, there is no war is Ba Sing Se.

Popular Posts