Solomon Kane

About a year ago, a friend of mine saw a trailer for a movie. He told me that I had to watch it, because the main character was exactly his image of Kade. When I watched the trailer, I couldn't disagree, but I wanted to watch the entire movie to see if the similarity held up. Alas, this movie had yet to be released in the US. So, I waited. And waited. I finally broke down and purchased a region-free dvd player and bought a UK copy of the movie, "Solomon Kane."

"Solomon Kane" is an adaptation of of the Robert E. Howard pulp novels of the same title. If this author's name tickles the back of your brain, it should. He's the creator of Conan the Barbarian who really is remarkably more swashbuckler than savage. Set in the 1600s, Solomon Kane's story is one of darkness and redemption and battling inner and outer demons in a world threatened by evil. This is my kind of story.

This movie is an origins story. The plot is simple and straightforward with a couple minor twists, but figuring out what's coming next won't cause any mental strain. The beauty of this movie lies with its execution, not some illusory notion of originality, which is just fine with me. It's not the originality of the story being told that makes me love it; it's how the story is told. Think Shakespeare. No surprises there. If it's a tragedy, everyone dies. If it's a comedy, everything will work out. Yet, his storytelling is compelling, his presentation of humanity real.

"Solomon Kane" hits these notes for me. If you watch a lot of BBC and period productions, you're probably familiar with our leading man, James Purefoy (Vanity Fair, Mansfield Park, Camelot, and the first Resident Evil, which is not so period). One of the criticisms I've seen leveled against this film is that Solomon has no personality. This analysis mistakes restraint for blandness. At the beginning of this film, Solomon is a cut-throat, ruthless man who delights in carnage. He cares only for himself and his own gain. He's giddy when surrounded by violence. The tortured man we meet later in the film puts almost all his effort into restraining that nature.

And I have to agree with my friend's assessment, Purefoy's portrayal of Solomon does paint the perfect image of Kade Hawthorn. All other actors I've seen have provided only pieces of Kade. Parts of Aidan Turner's facial structure and coloring resembled Kade. The costuming and movements of Jake Gyllenhaal as Dastan evoked Kade. But neither of them were quite right. James Purefoy as Solomon Kane is it, the whole package. The look, the build, the coloring, the facial structure, the movement, the savagery, the tortured emotion, the restraint are all Kade. The only thing he lacks is the snarky sarcasm.
My name is Hawthorn, Kade Hawthorn.
It takes more than a strong leading man or woman to present a compelling film and the cast of this film does not disappoint. Again if you watch a lot of British productions, you'll recognize most of the actors in this movie and will be excited by their presence.

What makes this movie standout though is its production value. As a photographer, I'm very critical of how a movie is framed and shot. The DP for this movie, Dan Laustsen, evoked an atmosphere of grit and grandeur, of the mundane juxtaposed with the mystical. The cinematography, the costuming, the production design, the art direction, the soundtrack, the creature design, the blessedly judicious use of CGI all create an immersive and staggering world. I am so saddened that I've been denied the experience of this film on the big screen. So, if you're outside the US, rent this movie! If you're not, movie night at my flat.


Here's more evidence of Purefoy's Solomon Kane providing the visuals for Kade Hawthorn:

Montage!
Cave scene anyone?
Must concentrate.
Wrong weapons, but I'll forgive that.
Love this costuming.
He may not have a cross scar, but even the amount of scarring is good.
I'm convinced no one can out-scowl this man.
Good morning.


Comments

I love audiobooks! I wish I had an audiobook version out there, but alas not in the cards. I might be able to one day, but right now I'm swamped just trying to put out the print editions. Ooh, now there's a question. Who in my perfect world would I want to narrate?
And, yes, James Purefoy IS perfect. ^_^
Unknown said…
Solomon kane is Catholic?

Popular Posts