V-day ruminations (and tales of things to come)

"Love Platypus" (~echaltraw, deviantART)
Generally speaking, I don't recognize the existence of Valentine's Day.  It's a day with entirely too much pink.  But beyond that, the whole holiday doesn't sit well with me.  To paraphrase my big brother, you can't tell me when I MUST express my love or I'm a horrible person, Hallmark!  (I do not have a defiant personality; I don't know wherever you got that idea.)  But really, I think my real beef with the dreaded V-day is that it reduces a concept as complex as love to mere romance.  Not that I'm saying romance is bad or that there is anything wrong with it.  I simply mean that love is so much MORE than romance.  Or at least it should be. Therefore, I have deep seated objections to the one-dimensional portrayal of love that is prevalent in today's American society and Valentine's Day just seems to typify that perspective.

So, instead of glaring balefully at Valentine's Day, I decided to fight back.  I plan to do this by presenting counter-cultural views of love.  Views of love that I think are REAL instead of those that are mass marketed for your consumption.


  1. Kiersten White's post on V-day: Supernaturally In Love. This post is adorable and shows a real, genuine love. It's dorky and just plain cute. That's right, folks.  Real love is dorky; it's not smooth.
  2. My post from last year in which I rant about love, Dr. Who, Twilight, and Paradise Lost.  You heard me.  What is Love?
So, what do you think about love in our culture today? Is it healthy? Is it cheap? Is it perfect? Inquiring minds want to KNOW.



COMING SOON TO A BLOG NEAR YOU (AKA THIS ONE):

  1. Review of Cherie Priest's third book in her Clockwork Century series, Dreadnought. Hint: It involved alternate Civil War history and dirigibles and Texian Rangers and zombies. Need I say more? Apparently, I do and will. Later.
  2. Another teaser from Render to tide you over until summer when the WHOLE book will be released.
  3. Platypodes (Look it up.)
  4. Review of the movie RED and why it's one of the best movies of 2010.
I'll see you here later in February. Same Bat time.  Same Bat channel.

Comments

Villagepig said…
hehehe I think that you will find that your views on Valentine's Day are widely shared :-)

My definition of love is quite simple. It is the contended state that follows the lustful honeymoon period. The state within which you feel okay without make-up on, where the occasional socks & pants situation arises without an impending sense of doom and where romance is found in the less glamorous roles like taking out the trash (on time!), sitting up all night with sick children together or mopping each others brow when the illness spreads.

7 years into a marriage and I can honestly say that I love the contended state. It is romance in its gentle form rather than that of the addictive, high octane variety that Hallmark so loves to portray.

Roll on summer, I need me som sun and some Render please :-)

A
@Villagepig: I couldn't agree more about the sun! I get so stir crazy in February. I need more sun and I need to be able to get out there and hike. And hear, hear to your comments on contented love. So much more appealing, in my opinion.

Popular Posts