The singes stopped smoldering

I have started writing this blog post about six seven times.  I could give you a lot of numbers regarding the production of my debut novel.  I could explain how as an independent author, I run all the departments necessary to get this book out there.  But none of it feels right, no matter how I try to manhandle it into words.  It sticks out in all the wrong angles.  So, I'll just be straight with you.  Pushing for my spring release date took a lot out of me emotionally and creatively.  Working out the logistics and marketing of my first novel this summer took a lot of my time.  It wasn't until late July when I released the not typo ridden cleaned up version of Shatter that I stopped (sort of).

I've been burned out.  I've read a lot; I've written very little.  I have not drafted much in Shatter's sequel since late February.  I had nothing to give.  Never fear though.  With some gentle (for her) prodding from one of my cohorts, I started drafting Render yesterday.  Tonight, I sat down and forced myself to write one word after the next and inched forward in the plot, and I do mean inched.  But the ball is rolling again, and I - much like inertia - once in motion, stay in motion.  I'm not sure if the burn out is completely gone, but I can at least tell that the singeing has stopped smoldering so obviously.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Elizabeth.
I'm also an (unknown? undiscovered?) indie author. Editing and marketing and then doing some editing can drain a writer's creativity like nothing else. It's so hard, but it will all be worth it in the end! Best of luck to you.
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Melissa! I couldn't agree more. It's an exhausting process at every stage, but a different kind of exhausting and all of it is so rewarding. Though, there are definitely days when I just want to hide from my computer. :)

Popular Posts