Crafting a Short Story

Back in 2008, this blog arose out of a desire to force myself to finish something, anything with my fictional writing. I vowed that each night I would post my daily drafting of a short story. (Disclaimer: This is before I stopped my editing-as-I-went addiction, so these aren't unadulterated first drafts. Those are, well, those aren't fit for human consumption.)

Since I've been getting questions about writing, I decided to take all the relevant posts and organize the links to guide you through the experiment. If you walk through these posts you can see what I cut, what I kept, what I altered, and what I added. It takes you through the creation of a short story from start to finish, including some commentary on the process. 

Understand, this writing is from four years ago, and I've learned a lot about writing since then. I am not, however, so proud that I'm unwilling to share my bad writing with you. In some ways, I feel like showing that early drafts really are ugly, unwieldy creatures helps dispel the myth that writers produce glittering stories with ease. Writing is not easy. It's work. It's work I love, but it's work all the same.

This short story has flaws. There are a lot of things I would change were I to revise it now. But I want to let it stand with all its jagged edges to share with you the journey of crafting a story. I hope you find it helpful and enlightening.

Comments

Zahra said…
Really interesting. Question (and I'm sorry if you've answered this before for someone else) - before you even sit down to write a story, do you create an outline (outlining the story from start to finish)? Or, is writing more of an organic process for you (as in you start writing and see where the story takes you)? Thanks!
So, I tried to answer your question a while ago from my phone, and... it kept resetting. >_< I shall try again now.

Both actually. I do outline the plot threads of every story from start to finish as well as general scenes that need to happen. I know what plot, character, world building, and thematic goals I need to achieve by the end of a scene. I usually also know where the scene takes place. HOWEVER, I don't outline HOW those goals will be achieved. That part is organic for me. Sometimes a scene goes places I never intended. Sometimes those are good places, and sometimes those places are horrible, never-to-be-seen-again places. We don't speak of those places. When things do change, it might be severe enough to change the big picture outline, too. So, yeah, a bit of both.
Zahra said…
After reading a good story, I'm always amazed at the talent of the author and the skill and hardwork it takes to weave complex, elaborate plots into coherent, seamless storylines. Sometimes the mysteries/details emerge at the beginning of a story only to connect/intersect hundreds of pages later or in a later book altogether. I've always wondered about the organization/planning that goes behind that creativity. When done well (as in your books), it's a truly impressive thing. Thank you for your response.

Popular Posts