Dangers of drafting

Well, I've warned you before that there are dangers to me revealing these stories while they're still "in process." Here is our first casualty, I'm changing Liam's name. Sorry, but it's true. I remembered recently an association that a lot of people familiar with the urban fantasy genre would automatically make because of his name. This is the outcome of me being too familiar with pop culture really. Not wanting to be accused of ripping off another character, I feel I need to distance my story by changing his name. I've wrestled with this decision for a couple weeks and I've been waiting for him to reveal his new name. Tonight he finally stopped being so close-lipped. His new name is Rory and I feel it actually fits him better and evokes more of his eccentricities, of which you've seen few at this point, than his previous nomenclature. Through this process, I've actually learned a lot more about his character and background before he was turned, especially about his mother and family. In case you're wondering, since it has as of yet been unannounced, Rory's last name is Sullivan. He's a good Irish lad.

While you're trying to wrap your head around the name change, here's a new link to the pdf of "The River," so you can adjust to the shock.

Comments

Popular Posts