Finding My Voice Again

Where I shall slay words in 2018.

Well, it’s 2018. I know I’m not the only person who’d like to punch 2017 in the face. I promised you a year and a day ago that I’d keep you updated about my progress. So, here I am.

I know a year between updates is probably not what you’d had in mind. It’s not what I had in mind either. Silence is not what I wanted to give you.

Unfortunately, fear has been a big motivator—and sometimes saboteur—for me for most of my life. It used to ignite me to frenzied, single-minded action. Keeping me one step ahead of what felt like a tsunami looming behind me about to swallow me whole. Always one step ahead. One misstep away from ruin. From failure.

I know it sounds melodramatic, but that’s the uncensored truth of how my anxiety feels.

Over the last few years, my fear has failed to push me to act. Instead, it has shut me down.

It drove me to hide. It stole my time. It silenced my voice.

I don’t want to react out of fear any more.

I choose to speak—here and now. To find my voice again.

I had been fighting (and doggedly, but unsuccessfully, repressing) my anxiety alone. Early last year, I decided to stop fighting on my own. I was exhausted. Not just about this book, but about many things in my life. I am able to write this, in large part, because I started therapy. Not long after my last blog post. 

I’ve found out a lot about myself over the last year. For one, I discovered I’m ADHD. Which, honestly? Surprises no one who’s met me. But learning this about myself at 34 years old was paradigm shifting. My tsunami-of-doom feeling? Very tied to my ADHD.

I also discovered I had developed secondary PTSD. Which is an anxiety disorder. I won’t go into specifics as to how this happened, but it’s another reason the last few years have been difficult.

I’ve discovered more, and I’m all for talking openly about mental health issues and normalizing that we all need professional help at times, but I’m not comfortable sharing everything on this here World Wide Web. 

I’m not better, but I’m committed to the healing process. I have many tools now to help manage my anxiety when it does occur, and anxiety episodes occur far less often these days. If you’re struggling by yourself? Please, consider therapy.

It’s kind of magic.

And because of therapy, I have finally broken my blockades concerning Forge. (And my writing in general.) I have finally figured out how to turn this draft into something book shaped. I am already well into that hammering process. I have been working every day, and I’m excited about these characters and this story again.

I’m excited to get to share it with you.

Endor Leia and Wicket will help.
I’m not locking myself into a specific release date. Not yet. But I am confident in saying this book will be released in 2018. As I get farther into this round of revisions and have a better sense of how long it will take me to finish everything, I will announce a release date.

Thank you to everyone who’s sent messages about the story, for still caring after all this time. Thank you to everyone who’ve sent me messages wishing me well this year, telling me to take care of myself first. It has meant the world to me.

Thank you for sticking around. I’ll see you soon.

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm here. I'm listening and I honor you. Plus also shoulder if needed. Therapy is indeed magic. <3
Unknown said…
So happy to hear you have been taking care of you. I do look forward to reading the next book. I'm here cheering you on!! YAY, You got this!!
Lori B said…
Take your time! Mental health is a big deal and you need to make sure you are in a good place. I'm excited for book 3, but there's no hurry! Keep strengthening yourself!
Jen S. said…
Many of my loved ones have ADD or ADHD and the whopping load of anxiety that follows along. Tools are awesome, giving you a way forward as you learn how the ADHD brain works. Thank you for sharing this experience. I hope you see how sharing it helps others and lets you know you're not alone. Here's to good writing days!
Unknown said…
Your openness and honesty is so inspiring and thank you for sharing! I'm here understanding, excited for your progress in both life and print, and cheering you on!
Thank you so much for the kind words!
Thank you so much! *cues up Eye of the Tiger*
Thank you for your encouragement and understanding! It means so much to me.
Agreed! I very much wrote it to help lift the stigma of discussing mental illness and atypical neurology openly. It’s so important to know that others share our struggles and that we’re not alone.
Aw, thank you so much! I am just so happy to be in a place where sharing this didn’t feel threatening or scary.
Dave Fouchey said…
As a fellow traveler on the same road, ADHD & PTSD with a side of chronic depression, I am a big fan of therapy, and patience with yourself. Be brave my friend, but even more take time to heal. Peace.
IMsirius said…
Hi Elisabeth, I know what you are talking about exactly. Having gone through that process myself. When my therapist (prior to her I managed to sort out my mental issues and/or debilitating anxiety myself) wanted me to up my visits, I got such an anxiety attack, I stopped seeing her altogether! By then she had found the common denominator. Once that was discovered I actually managed to deal with it myself. 9-11 -2001 destroyed all this and now I need some medication to deal with it, and I do. Thanks for Sharing your plight with us. Wishing you an anxiety-less life and waiting patiently.
Anonymous said…
Hi Elizabeth. Thanks for sharing your personal story. Bravery is the word I give you today!!!
I have been looking for Forge for a few years, and am so excited to get to read it. I also think this series would make an incredible series for TV.
Good luck with finishing!!!
Susan

Popular Posts