Jello Brain

“As Elizabeth Mock awoke one morning from Kafkaesque dreams she found herself transformed in her jim-jams into a deranged writer.”



No winner for yesterday's mad lib: "Famished readers are all alike; every satisfied reader is satisfied in her own way." But we did have some fun versions submitted.

Ms. Jessi: “Silly ideas are all alike; every serious idea is serious in its own way.”

Anna-Jessie: “Semiaquatic penguins are all alike; every landlocked penguin is landlocked in its own way.”

Yesterday’s mad lib came from Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina. The real first line reads, “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” 

I hope to see more submissions and guesses for today’s mad lib. *puppy dog eyes*



Success! I finished Cinder by Marissa Meyer this morning. Yesterday’s evil scheme worked. Oh, it worked QUITE well. Every time I thought about a chore I needed to accomplish, I looked at the timer and went back into the book. An hour was a good length, because it forced me to immerse myself in the story and commit. This morning, I slid naturally into the final stretch of the book, because of the investment I cultivated the day before. Mission accomplished. *high fives self*

I definitely enjoyed Cinder. A scifi twist on the Cinderella fairytale, it takes place in New Beijing, the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth in the distant future of earth. The book features a divergent society of psionically-gifted humans from the moon called Lunars, an incurable plague ravaging the world, and an unwanted cyborg mechanic and second-class citizen, Lihn Cinder. If you’re looking for a fun, light adventure read, I’d definitely recommend Cinder.

After the lightning fast read of Cinder, I’m going to dive back into epic fantasy with N.K. Jemisin’s The Inheritance Trilogy. I’m starting the first book, A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, tonight
“In the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, gods dwell among mortals and one powerful, corrupt family rules the earth. Three extraordinary people may be the key to humanity’s salvation.” 
Um, YES, please. Doesn’t that sound spectacular? This one’s been hovering at the top of the queue for a long time, and it’s finally made it into my hands. I shall keep your inquiring minds up-to-date on my progress via goodreads.com.

I got a decent amount of drafting done this morning by 7 AM, but, more importantly, I built the spine of my WIP this afternoon. My brain is gooey gelatin now, but I made some really important plotting decisions about the foundational arc that drives much of the story’s plot. The work today should spike my word count numbers in the coming days.

Yeah... that's my brain right now.
Unfortunately, today’s post is more update and reporting in and less interesting STUFF. Yup. That’s all I got at this point. Stuff. And a falafel pita for dinner. Mmm... so tasty.

06.24.12 Progress:
  1. Blogged by reporting in on the Progress of Stuff.
  2. Finished Cinder! Began N.K. Jemisin’s The Hundred Thousand Kingdom’s. Yay! It finally worked its way to the top of the queue. :D
  3. Yoag’d
  4. 704 words and big break in a major arc.

Mad Lib for 06.24.12:

As [PERSON] awoke one morning from [ADJECTIVE] dreams he found himself transformed in his [NOUN] into a [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN].

Comments

Mell C said…
This is a day late and a dollar short (thanks, Goodreads) but I was sad to see no love for this post. So- read at will.
_____________________________________

I believe that's Kafka up there, from the dreaded Metamorphosis. (I say this having read only one other Kafka novel. Can't say I'm exactly itchin' to read more.) I can't actually quote Kafka's first sentence verbatim. And I'm going going to cheat and look it up.

I had NO clue with the previous quote, which you have revealed to be Tolstoy. Have never read Anna Karenina. (Hangs head.) It feels like such a "hafta read this for school book," and I delight in the fact that I don't hafta read anything at this point in my life.

For the mad lib:
"As the Purple-People-Eater awoke one morning from technicolor dreams he found himself transformed in his confusion into a blue-footed booby."

Popular Posts