Iliad Mad Libs & Inertia

Sing, O Muse, the nerdiness of Elizabeth daughter of Carol, that brought intermittent book recommendations upon the interwebs! Many a bright and shiny reader did it impel running down to Joseph-Beth Booksellers, and many a book did yield a convert to YA and Fantasy, for so were the counsels of book bloggers fulfilled from the day on which the readers, queens and kings of interwebs, and geeky Elizabeth, first found one another.

Lion and Trojans and Greeks, oh my!
© 2009 Elizabeth Mock
So that was my Iliad mad libs to ease me into writing this post. Actually… Idea. I think I’m going to start all my posts for Summer Challenge 2012 with a mad libs from classic, capital L, Literature. I mean, I’ve got to do something to entice you to read. ‘Cause I have no illusions that my blathering about yoga and drafting will be keep you precariously perched on the edge of your seat. But, apparently, I think Mad Libs: the Classics will? I am SO helplessly nerdy.

Well, it’s Day 2 of Summer Challenge 2012 and it’s 10 AM my time. And in the time since I’ve been awake, I’ve yoga’d, drafted 804 words, and written this blog post. Not to mention sporadic Twitter shenanigans distracting me. Not too shabby for it still being two hours before noon. 

Now, I would have written more today, but Darth Hubby and I are off to Columbus this afternoon for friends and food and haircuts, and I still need to get in some reading and showering. Yes, I drive 90 minutes to get my hair cut. I go with my best friends. It’s a thing.

Last night, I started drafting again after a hiatus due to Shatter revisions, end of school, getting married, and honeymooning in the Pacific Northwest for a no work, real vacation. After that long break, drafting last night was PAINFUL. I got a measly 665 words written. (Man, I just realized how close I was to an Evil Drafting session. Missed opportunities.) But as I was reminding another author yesterday... 

Progress is progress.  

But pushing through that lack-of-writing inertia feels like drilling through your own leg. (What? You mean, you DON’T know what that feels like? Oh.) But I knew I had to stick it out in order to burst through that inertia wall like the Kool-Aid Man. I did it, and I’m covered in mortar dust and imprinted with brick-shaped bruises. And sometimes it feels defeating when all you get done is 665 words, but I didn’t have those 665 words on Tuesday. Today I do.


This. This is the best thing ever.
Some days that’s all you have, and that’s okay. Give what you can. Progress is progress.

06.21.12 Progress:
  1. Blogged about writing inertia with Iliad mad libs.
  2. No reading yet, but I’m off to play with Cinder now.
  3. Yoga’d
  4. 804 words drafted about rifles and songs. Guess who’s my current PoV character?


Comments

Popular Posts