Forge Progress

Middle third of Forge
It is 2017. And, as you all already know, Forge did not come out this last summer. And I have been silent. My silence is a choice I made, and that’s on me.
The first draft of Forge is written. It clocks in at just under 250,000 words. Just shy of a quarter million. That is almost twice the length of Shatter.
This book is much longer than I anticipated.
This book took me the longest any book has ever taken me to draft.
This book has required a lot of me.
Most first drafts take me anywhere from three weeks (at my fastest) to five months (my previous slowest). It has never taken me over a year to write a completed draft. But this book has been different for a lot of reason. This past year has been different for a lot of reasons. I have been different for a lot of reasons.
You may think me closed off and non-communicative, but I’m not in a place where I’m comfortable to talk about the things that have happened. Just know, that this last year has been challenging for me. 
I did not want to miss my deadline. I did not want to let you down. I wanted to be able to hand you something when I posted next.
I wanted to have an estimated release time frame for Forge when I announced. I kept working and working and hoping. I had hoped to have it in July. Then July became August became September became—
Well, you get the idea.
Said 240+ notecards
But I don’t have anything except a finished draft and hundreds (literally hundreds) of scene notecards covering my basement floor that I’m trying to weave into something book shaped.
I care about this book.
I care about finishing this story.
I care that you care.
I’ve just not been in a super good headspace, so I’ve stayed away, kept my head down, kept doing the work, and kept silent. Because admitting that I’d let you, my readers, down was very painful for me to face.
But, here I am.
The book isn’t done. But the book isn’t abandoned.
Here’s what I can promise. The book exists. I will finish this book. I can’t tell you when yet. But know that I will keep working at it until it is done.
I will update you on my progress.

I’m sorry that I can’t promise more than that. I’m trying to take care of myself and keep my head above water.

Comments

Lori B said…
I loved the first two books and have been patiently waiting for Forge to be finished. I have no idea what it takes to write a good book, but you do so take your time. In the meantime I have found some really amazing books/series to keep me busy. When Forge is finally available I look forward to starting the Children of Man series over. Take care of yourself and thanks for reassuring us. :)
Enforcer B said…
Looking forward to it. Would rather you take your time and finish it in style with an epic book than rush it and the readers be left wanting more.

Great to finally hear something though!
GalFord said…
You've never let any of your readers down. You've created a world that we love, and that can take a lot out of a person. I know I've been hankering for Forge, but this is all now on hold. I can wait patiently for Forge, once you are where you want/need to be. For to care for yourself is often more important than caring for those around us.

Until then, stride onward, leap higher and kiss the stars with your grace...
Unknown said…
Those of us who loved the world you created have the patience to wait until you feel it's perfect, thank you for letting us know what is going on. I hope that everything is as well with you as it can be and wish you peace and happiness in your writing and your home life. Keep well x
Unknown said…
Sometimes life gets in the way of progress but it is a gift to you. This book will be better and so much more because of your experiences. Shelf the guilt, it is unnecessary and is holding you back from reaching your dreams. This book will be born when its ready. Until then i will wait patiently and now i have some worthy of waiting for!
Thanks for the update and i wish you love and light to guide you in your writing and your life ♥
Tear.Pa said…
Waiting patiently, it takes how long it takes. Good things take time, great things take even more. Sending hugs
Hang in there. Those of us who have never written a book don't know the challenges it brings. However, we have ALL faced adversity at some time or other, everyday for me. So know that we understand, that we are still here waiting and urging and praying for you to triumph.
I can only imagine a story of this depth and imagination takes a lot from you personally, the greatest tragedy would be that you never finish at all, and because we care about the story, we care about you. Life will always be there and it will never be fair just know we are here and continue to hope the best for you. You, Elizabeth, matter. Take care of yourself and all else will come in time.
Sincerely, a devoted fan
Stacey Gray
john said…
You know it's going to be good. Keep it up, sis! Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Caleb told me he believes in you. ;)
I have the best readers. Seriously. I cannot put into words what your support and encouragement has meant to me. I'm working hard and will hopefully have another update in a few weeks!
Unknown said…
I hope everything in your life is getting better. I know what it is like to have something stop you from moving forward. Still hoping forge comes out soon. My thoughts are with you hoping the best foe you.
Sincerely
Megan B.

Popular Posts