A Year Later



Cafe Presse by Lois van Baarle (loish.net)
One year and a few days ago, I gained representation with Barry Goldblatt Literary, and my agent and I decided to take my epic fantasy series, The Children of Man, into traditional publishing. Most weeks, I get asked on my various online haunts, if there’s a release date yet for Forge, the third book. And my answer for the last year has been the same. There is, as of yet, no release date.  

It hasn’t changed on my FAQ page, because there’s, unfortunately, nothing to report. 

I’m so thrilled and honored that you, my beautiful readers, are anxious and hungry for the next installment in Faela and the crew’s adventures. I am beyond fortunate to have such a wonderful and enthusiastic readership. I just ask, again, for your patience with this process.

I want to get the third book into your hands as badly as you want to read it. Maybe more. This, however, is my path, the one I chose. And even with all the waiting and waiting and, you guessed it, waiting, I don’t regret that choice. At all.

Over this past year in the agency, I’ve learned more than I can relate in this post. The agents, editors, artists, and writers of BGL are gracious, funny, smart, supportive, and talented. They’ve taught me so much about publishing, about writing, about story. Through their stories and friendships, they’ve challenged me to improve every day. To push my prose till it sings, to dig deep and build my fiction on emotional truth, to tell the stories that terrify me to write, to trust myself and my voice, to never put jellybeans in white wine.

(Seriously, PSA time, folks, avoid jellybeans in white wine. TMYK, shooting star.)

As this community has stretched me, my writing has grown and is growing. And you, dear readers, will reap that benefit in a tangible, real way when the last two books of The Children of Man are published.

So this is my official statement of, honestly, there’s nothing to report, no new information. I wish there were. Just like you, we’re still waiting. But as SOON as I have news, I will shout it from the proverbial rooftops of the interwebs. I promise.

Now back to writing.

(The picture has little to nothing to do with this post except it's just GORGEOUS, and I'm a bit obsessed with Lois Van Baarle's work on loish.net. And I wanted to introduce you to something beautiful.)

Comments

Tiffany Schmidt said…
I believe we established that it's only the PURPLE jellybeans that turn toxic in wine...

Also, <3 <3 <3
I'm giddy that you're the first comment. And I will file that away for future safety tips. Also, so I can confiscate all the PUPLE jellybeans at the next retreat. <3
Unknown said…
Hi!

I'm so glad to see a writer who is not only willing but excited to interact with her fans. I will honestly say I was never a reader until I read Shatter. You turned me into a reader and I devoured Shatter and Render and enjoy so much turning people to read them. I've checked in with your website and blog to see updates on Forge but I don't expect much because of the whole getting signed thing.

I did, however, notice you play or played WoW. I am a fellow player, I've honestly also thought about writing but have no real writing skill to match my creativity. If you're ever free and want to freely chat with someone, I'm on Firetree and my char's name is Koldiana. If she's not on just search for Kold or talk to someone from Talons of the Zephyr. I look forward to speaking with you or just seeing your response on here. Thanks again for turning me to reading!
You just made my WEEK, Michael. I'm a little speechless. (Not wordless, mind you. Clearly.) You kind of just told me that I won the interwebs. I'm incandescent right now. I'm so humbled that my stories started that spark for you. *HUGS* And THANK YOU for spreading the word about my books! Word of mouth is the best, best thing for authors. THANK YOU.

I did play WoW! From 2006-11. Lots of raiding. SO much raiding. Then the writing thing kind of ate my free time, and I had to bow out. Which makes me sad, because I miss those extended hang out times with my guilides. But when you've got two full-time careers, it leaves precious little free time.

Happy reading, Michael! And if you ever need any new book recs, I HAVE MANY.
Unknown said…
I'll take whatever recs you have! I'm reading all the time now. I tend to gravitate towards books like yours where magic is kind of just part of the world, but there aren't crazy creatures running around. I also like books like the "Song of Ice and Fire" series, where magic kind of takes a back seat and sits on the outskirts. Kind of polar opposites I know, but they interest me most. I find most of the stories I make in my head follow those parameters.

I'm glad I made you're week! I'll continue to spread the word! Have you ever thought of your books in the context of a movie or game? Not for profit of course but just for fun? I certainly have. The thought of being healed by someone using red, green, or even purple somehow. The idea of blue, tanks and orange dps/pvp. It's an interesting idea to me.

Anyway I look forward to the recs! Thanks for the response and for the interest in your readers.
JUAN BLANCO said…
When you say traditional... you mean just paper printed? If thats the case I will be crushed because I live in outh america...

Either eay I love the books! Hope you will publish the third one soon!!! Congrats! One of my favorite series of all time

Popular Posts