Ode to Writing


“Beginning upon the journey of our tale
I penned myself within a spaceport empty,
For the space-freighter’s pathway had been diverted.”


Yesterday’s mad lib was first correctly guessed as Romeo and Juliet by Ms. Jessi:
“Two writers, both alike in imagination,
In frigid Starbucks, where we lay our plot arcs,
From initial grudge turns to new camaraderie,
Where character blood makes character deaths unclean.”

LOVED the reader versions for the R&J opener:

Ms. Jessi:
“Two fans, both alike in swag,
in unclean basements, where we lay our hobbies,
from hysterical grudge brings to new conventions,
where thinned blood makes thinned memorabilia unclean.”

Mell C.:
“Two vampires, both alike in fang,
In creepy Translyvania, where we lay our legend,
From graveyard grudge arose to new rivalries,
Where gory blood makes gory coffins unclean.”

Having taught Romeo and Juliet for two years to ninth graders, I have much of that play memorized, but undoubtedly that opening sonnet. I must confess it is my least favorite Shakespearean play, but the sonnets that Shakespeare created in its dialogue are, undeniably, stunning.


This morning, I hunkered down with a pot of peach oolong tea. I opened Scrivener and started drafting. Before the clock struck nine, I wrote 1262 words, completed one scene, and got the ball rolling on another. And it felt really, really good.


Today was one of those drafting sessions when you slip into it like sliding into a hot tub. It’s easy. It’s pleasant. And you feel a sense of contentment.

Today there was no pulling hair. No fight for every word. No struggle.

Today was one of those days when I remember why I love my characters. Why I love this story. This world.

Today was a day when I forgot all of the pressures and expectations and insecurities and fears.

Today, I remembered why I love writing. Why it’s an inexorable part of who I am. Why I sacrifice so much to do this.

Because, on days like this, writing makes my soul sing.


06.28.12 Progress:
  1. Blogged about the joy of writing.
  2. No reading yet. But the day is still NEW. And A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is beckoning me.
  3. Yoga’d
  4. 1262 words drafted by 9 AM. 

06.28.12 Mad Lib:

[DISTANCE] upon the journey of our [NOUN]
I [VERBED] myself within a [NOUN] [ADJECTIVE],
For the [ADJECTIVE] pathway had been [VERBED].

As always leave guesses and your mad libs versions in comments or @LisMock on twitter!

Comments

Mell C said…
Life is good when work is easy.
I don't recognize the quote.

12.5 hours upon the journey of our quest
I found myself within a town unknown,
For the GPS pathway had been lost.

Popular Posts